Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Twitter's why I don't blog

I never could keep up a blog. Blogging takes at least enough commitment to post new entries on a regular basis, and well, I just never seemed to have enough to write about to warrant more than the occasional blurb. Plus there's the burden of trying to keep things fresh and new and flowing and, well, not boring. It all just felt like too much effort.

Then along came a twitter.

"Micro-blogging" they called it, which didn't mean to much to me at first. Honestly it took me a solid two weeks just to figure out what to make of twitter, what the hell it was good for. Then it struck me: the magic is in the hundred-and-forty character limit. With such a restriction my tweets could never stray past a sentence and a half; an unnecessary boundary some may say, but I found the limit to be freeing in a way. No longer did I have to worry about silly things like paragraph structure and whatnot. I could focus on making each entry short, clear, concise ideas: "I'm taking a poop", "check out this link", "I like this quote", "I can be witty in less than a sentence", "here's a random picture", "I found a cool new coffee joint", et cetera et cetera. I was an instant tweeting fool.

tbc

No comments: