Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"a new place to get my coding on", or "when RL happens"

i'm finally back at an honest-to-god full-time coding gig, and boy is it refreshing. you may have heard of my new employers before.

don't get me wrong, doing the indie thing with my boys at Ayumusoft was some of the best times of my coding career. i'm forever indebted to them for the opportunity i was afforded there, and the great times we had together. hell, my work at Ayumusoft led directly to landing my new gig. big-ups to Dani and Simar for bringing me aboard, and for believing in a guy and his skills.

i'm overdue for a regular paycheck and health insurance, though. my tyke is long overdue for that. and being at a place with a huge budget which lands an iMac, iPhone4, and an iPad on my desk, that's pretty nice too.

a full-time gig means my online presence has suffered. i haven't touched ye old blog in over a month. i check up on twitter only once a day and only on a good day. even my own flesh and bits FortuneBOT, i can go a week without taking the time to see what he says. a far cry from my contracting and unemployed days, when i lived almost exclusively on twitter and facebook.

i fib. my new full-time status isn't all to blame for my recent online absence. RL happened. i get to see my boy a lot more these days, once a weekend (hopefully soon a lot more than that); i've got an effing amazing, fun, and beautiful girl i get to call my girlfriend; and we're plenty busy trying to find an apartment where we can fully enjoy LA city living (as our times in SF has shown us: working, living, and playing in the same place is the only way to go).

i leave you now with a recent observation: new computer programming gigs, they always seem to begin the same way.

day one: "here's your new desk and new computer. spend the whole day installing a bunch of software, we'll get something for you to do tomorrow."

day two: "we still don't have any specific tasks for you to do. just grab the project from the SVN repo and start poking around the code."

day three: "how you like the codebase?" lots of hacks, but hey that's the nature of shipping software. i'm just glad i know how to refactor shit. "good good. here's some things the designer wants and/or needs fixed." on it.

lather, rince, repeat day three

No comments: